These 10 tips will keep your stress in check:
- Care for yourself. You deserve it.
- Get out and be with friends. Everyone needs a social outlet and being with friends can help you put things in perspective and ease your stress level.
- Stay healthy.
a. Eat well. When it comes to combating stress levels, what you eat may actually help relieve your tension.
b. Get enough sleep – Create a cool, calm and quiet environment for sleep.
c. Find time to exercise.
- Deal with your feelings.
Bottling up your emotions is a physically and mentally unhealthy behavior. Make an appointment with a professional counselor, or join a caregiver support group if you experience symptops of apathy, depression and sadness.
- Find time to relax.
Get involved in a quiet activity you enjoy. Read, walk or listen to music to help you unwind.
- Just say no to other’s seeking help with projects, events, etc.
Know your limits and stick to them.
- Ask for help.
Enlist your relatives to help with certain tasks. Make sure you discuss things and work through any conflicts with siblings and other relatives.
- If your family can’t help out seek out home care services.
Home care providers can shoulder some of the many responsibilities of care giving.
- Stay positive.
Focus on what you have been able to accomplish and the quality time you have had with your loved one. Avoid negative thoughts.
- Prioritize your responsibilities.
Tackle the most important tasks first, and don’t worry if you can’t manage everything. Tomorrow is another day.