The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) expanded its definition of “primary health-related” benefits that private insurance companies are allowed to include in their 2020 Medicare Advantage plan offerings.
Some of the benefits that were added to the approved list include:
- Transportation to doctor’s offices
- Grab bars in home bathrooms
- Healthier food options
- Air conditioners for people with asthma
- Home-delivered meals
- Aides to help with daily activities like dressing or eating
The expansion of the “primary, health-related” definition includes care and devices that are used to:
- Treat or prevent injuries or illness
- Compensate for physical impairments
- Reduce emergency medical care
- Address the psychological effects of injuries or illness
While any new benefits would not require a doctor’s order or prescription, they would have to be deemed “medically appropriate” and recommended by a licensed health care provider.
Call In Your Golden Years to see if you qualify
for in-home care services: (989) 391-4540